Saturday, February 6, 2016

Only One God

“How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low! You said in your heart, I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’ But you are brought down to Sheol, to the far reaches of the pit." -- Isaiah 14:12-15
Have you ever noticed what letter is found in the very center of the word "pride"? Yes, the letter is "I". The concept is rather simple. When the whole world revolves around me and I am the only one that matters in all my hopes and dreams, I am suffering from pride. In this condition I have become the center of the universe and God is pushed aside. The fact is ignored that there is only one God and I am not Him.
The above passage has often been seen in a secondary way to be the story of Satan's fall. Pride has been the culprit for many people, great and not so great, being brought down from power and position. Solomon spoke in wisdom as he wrote in Proverbs 16:18, "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."  The truth is this: "For from HIM and through HIM and to HIM are all things. To HIM be glory forever. Amen." (Romans 11:36) God alone is the center of the universe.
Why are you ambitious and why do you strive for success my friend? Is it to make certain that others know of your accomplishments and honor you? There is no gain when we seek the glory for ourselves. John the Baptist put it best in John 3:30-31, "He must increase, but I must decrease. He who comes from above is above all..." Remember, there is only one God... and you are not Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment