Friday, February 4, 2011

"The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined." -- Isaiah 9:2
During my college years I worked for a security company on the third shift. I remember how deep the darkness can be and how much I welcomed the sunrise. Darkness is filled with unknown dangers, evil activities and godless ways that flee from the light. No matter how quiet and restful the night might seem, darkness is no place to live life.
The prophet foretold of a light that would come to those who dwelt in darkness. He used two qualifying terms as he revealed this coming event. The darkness was "deep" and the light was "great". Time may pass ever so slowly, until the darkness of life becomes "deep", but when the Lord finally breaks in, his light is "great". God's light is always greater than our deepest darkness. 
It has been said that it is darkest before the dawn. While this may not be scientifically true, it certainly seems that way when every day seems darker than the day before. But take a word of counsel from the psalmist, "I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning." (Psalm 130:5-6) Be patient my friend, for when the Lord pours out his light... it is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment