Monday, February 21, 2011

“Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. He will not cry aloud or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; a bruised reed he will not break, and a faintly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice.” – Isaiah 42:1-3
When I was young there was large oak tree in our yard. My friends and I had so much fun climbing all over this big guy. We added a rope swing to one of the larger branches and flew as high as we could. The old oak took a beating and is probably still standing to this day. On the other hand, I came to understand that our garden plants don't fare as well with rough treatment. Some of God's creation requires gentleness.
Isaiah has recorded an introduction of the Messiah Jesus in this passage. He is the one filled with the Spirit and in whom there is much delight. This Servant Savior came to bring justice to all the nations, but he came to people with gentleness. He does not cry aloud or lift up his voice. He never breaks a bruised reed or quenches a faintly burning wick. He said in Matthew 11:29, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Jesus knows that troubled souls require gentleness.
Do you experience load crying and harsh voices at your work or in your home my friend? Do you feel emotionally battered and beaten down? Well, God never intended for you to be climbed on or to carry the weight of the world. David reminds us that, "... He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." (Psalm 103:14) But, the Lord says, "For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you."" (Isaiah 41:13) We have a Savior who knows that we require gentleness.

No comments:

Post a Comment