Monday, November 16, 2009

"Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me." - John 12:23-26 (NIV)
I am not a gardener nor the son of one. Although as a young boy, I sold flower seeds in the spring to earn prizes from the Scout magazine. The seeds were neatly packed in envelopes with pictures of beautiful flowers. In each small envelope, were found seeds that produced flowers, but only if they were planted. Seeds on the shelf are nothing more than that.
So it is with life. Jesus didn't come to just live a good life. He came to intentionally die that we might eternally live. In turn he calls us to serve by following his example. Like seeds, Jesus wants us to plant ourselves in this life and not remain on the shelf. Yes, when we are planted in his service, our own agendas and selfish plans die, but the beauty of his grace and glory blossoms.
Will you step out of your little envelope, and be planted? Will you be used of the Lord to "produce many seeds"? In whose life will you plant yourself today? Seeds left on the shelf never produce anything.     

No comments:

Post a Comment