Thursday, November 19, 2009

"I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." - John 13:15-17
Every generation strives to rise above the previous one with greater achievements and lifestyles. When I was younger, we talked about a future 32-hour workweek with oodles of time for fun. Some futuristic thinkers saw life with robotic servants. We looked for better, brighter and of course, easier days ahead.
The same phenomenon exists in the Christian life. My church life, my devotional life or my ministry life needs to be better, brighter and of course, easier than my predecessors. Yet, our Lord brings us back to the basics. He sets a timeless example of what ministry is, and always should be about. We are servants, and we are called to serve in the same way that our Master served. Not better, brighter or easier; just the same.
 What is your goal today? Are you looking to be served, or are you seeking to serve others, just like Jesus? The example is before you, and "Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them".

No comments:

Post a Comment