Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Look

"Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” And he went outside and wept bitterly." - Luke 22:60-62 

When I was a little guy, life was pretty simple. I knew all was well, or not, by the look in my mother's eyes. If I was behaving as I should, her look was pleasant and assured me that all was well. But if I was getting into mischief, mom could look across a crowded room and I knew I was in trouble. I never wanted to see "the look".
On most days, Peter enjoyed pleasant looks from Jesus, as they walked and talked along the road. But this was not one of those days. Peter had been so sure of himself, and then he denied the Lord, not just once, but three times. Fear and doubt had gotten the best of him and he distanced himself from the Lord. But the distance was not enough to escape "the look". 
I believe the look Peter received that day was one of disappointment. When we disobey the Lord, Paul says we grieve his Spirit. (Ephesians 4:30) Simply put, when we fail the Lord... we break his heart. As you turn to the Lord today, will you be met with a look that is pleasant and assures you that all is well? Or will you sense the Lord's disappointment as you're met with "the look"

No comments:

Post a Comment