Monday, January 10, 2011

“Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles. He will not quarrel or cry aloud, nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets; a bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not quench, until he brings justice to victory; and in his name the Gentiles will hope.” -- Matthew 12:18-21
Herb stops in whenever the church doors are open to get warm. He is someone who was once healthy and reasonably well ordered in a good job and home. Today he is homeless and very much confused mentally. We have accepted this friend into our fold according to his need and limitations. There are always people who need to be gently cared for and loved in the name of the one who never breaks a bruised reed nor quenches a smoldering wick.
Out of the same heart that calls disciples to take their cross and follow him is a gentleness that accepts the broken and downtrodden. The Lord Jesus was foreseen by the prophet Isaiah as recorded in Isaiah 42:1-4. The prophet saw a Messiah who would accept us in our need and limitations and deal with us graciously. This is the Savior who extends this call in Matthew 11:29, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." 
Our Lord encourages us to find rest in his gentleness and graciousness. In this we find hope to carry on in his strength, but how do we receive others who are struggling? Be careful my friend to gently care for and love the poor soul that is a bruised reed and smoldering wick. They need to see Jesus... and you may be the only Jesus they will ever see.

No comments:

Post a Comment