Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?’ So the last will be first, and the first last." - Matthew 20:15-16
Some years ago I entered a fast food restaurant with my family and thought that I was at the back of a line. When the next register was open I began to move up when I heard the loudest outcry that I ever experienced in a public place. "Hey, that's not FAIR!!" Apparently I had failed to notice this person lingering in the back and didn't realize that they were waiting to be served. I quickly stepped aside because I would never want to be "unfair".
What exactly is "fair" in this life? And on what basis do we believe that everything should be "fair"? The account that Jesus relates in this passage clearly reveals the freedom that God has to deal with his servants as he chooses. He is generous beyond belief and yet there are those who will always complain that the Good Lord is somehow "unfair". The Lord's call is to be faithful and his promise is to provide for our needs. While "the last will be first, and the first last" may seem "unfair", in everything the Lord is always generous.
Who knows our needs better than the Lord who created us and shows us his care? The Scripture says it best in Romans 8:32, "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" Be careful when you accuse the Lord of not being "fair" my friend. He loves you and pours out his grace every day with divine generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment