Saturday, June 11, 2022

By His Grace...

 Today's Readings: OT - Psalm 39 / NT - John 13:31-14:14

"Peter asked, “Lord, why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!" -- John 13:37-38
Politicians offer you the world to get into office. They will commit themselves to almost anything and often believe they can produce. Then in the face of reality they realize that they don't have what it takes to succeed. Their promises are just too great.

Peter also spoke before thinking. His confidence was totally in the wording "I will". He was self assured that he was able to fulfill the most demanding sacrifice for Jesus. Yet, when the day arrived he found that he didn't have what it takes to succeed. Peter's promise was just too great.

Are you sure of yourself my friend? Do you really believe that you would lay down your life for Jesus? Or do you know that only by his strength can you hope to accomplish anything for him? Before you make promises to die for the Lord, why not just make a commitment to live for him today? By his grace, that's a promise that you can keep.

Tomorrow's Readings: OT - 2 Samuel 8-9 / NT - John 14:15-31

No comments:

Post a Comment