Friday, February 18, 2022

Do not Fear...

 Today's Readings: OT - 1 Samuel 18:1-16 / NT - Matthew 28

"But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay ...  Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me.” -- Matthew 28:5-6, 10
I have a fear of heights. I remember having a job that required my climbing to the top of a natural gas tower in times of emergency. Thankfully no such occasions ever came, because I found that half way up the stairs I froze and was unable to move forward and was almost unable to back down the stairs. I am living proof that fear is a power that can seriously cripple someone.

In light of the power that fear had over the women, the angel and Jesus quickly spoke to the issue. "Do not fear" was the message and the resurrection of our Lord was all that anyone needed to trade fear for courage. It's just not enough for someone to say "Do not fear", but when all the evidence around you gives hope and security you can be brave. This is what the risen Savior offers to everyone who comes to him... courage.

I have found that I can be confident at any height when I am standing on firm footing surrounded by a protective wall. Fear disappears when we have something or someone in which to trust. Jesus is that someone my friend, because he is the risen Savior. Step out of the dark and hear his words to you today... "Do not fear".

Tomorrow's Readings: OT - 1 Samuel 18:17-30  /  NT - Mark 1:1-20

No comments:

Post a Comment