Saturday, February 4, 2017

What we are looking through?

"How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother’s eye." - Luke 6:42

Occasionally I notice that my computer screen is distorted and marked with various specks. After putting up with the annoyance for a while I take time to clean the beast. I use the best cleaner and make certain that I leave no scratches or marks behind. Then I kick back to resume my work only finding the distortion and marks still present. In a fit of desperation I remove my glasses, wipe my forehead and glance back at a crystal clear screen. What? Where did the marks go? Hmm... the problem wasn't what I was looking at, but what I was looking through.
The Lord gives us such insightful counsel when He directs us to "take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly". Before we can ever assist others in their spiritual needs, wisdom tells us to clean up our own life. The amazing truth is that when we clean our glasses (or life) we see things much differently. Not only are we able to help others better, but we see them in a less critical light.  It's not always what we are looking at, but what we are looking through.
Consider what Paul wrote in Galatians 6:1 my friend, "Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted." Yes, we should always be available to assist others in their spiritual walk. But let us be sure to be personally "spiritual" and watchful ourselves; because, it not only matters what we are looking at, but what we are looking through.

No comments:

Post a Comment