Saturday, January 9, 2016

Do you love Him more?

"Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me." -- Matthew 10:37-38
As a pastor I have experienced many family reactions to ministry commitments. There have been parents that refused to support their son's or daughter's steps toward mission work. There were those who failed to carry out ministry responsibilities to celebrate a relative's birthday. The question always came to mind... who did they love more; their family or the Lord?
As we read this high calling that Jesus places before us, remember the greater context of his teaching. While Jesus hung on the cross, providing for payment for our sins, he also took time to provide for his mother Mary. (John 19:26-27) As you keep this moment in mind, please be assured that the Lord expects us to care for our families. But, no matter how much we care for our loved ones, our love for the Lord must always come first and foremost.
In light of this word from the Lord, do you better understand the idea of taking your cross and following Jesus? Carrying your cross is making the hard and costly decisions in life to follow the Lord. Following Jesus is placing personal and family desires second to the Lord's calling. The question will always remain my friend... who do you love more?

No comments:

Post a Comment