Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Satisfaction

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water." -- Psalm 63:1 
While in high school I worked as a golf caddy every summer. After a long 18 hole trek, the only thought on my mind was a long cool drink of water to quench my thirst. After graduation I flew to San Antonio, Texas for Basic Training in the Air Force. The weather in July was unbearably hot and dry. After a day of training and marching, the only thought on my mind was a long cool drink of water. Nothing else would satisfy.
This is the point of David's thought in Psalm 63:1. He was far from home and found his soul to be dry and weary. The pressures of battle and fleeing from his enemies left him worn and empty. He missed the refreshing days spent in the sanctuary, worshiping and singing praise. The only thought he had day after day was a long cool time with God, his God. Nothing else would satisfy.
Are you empty today my friend? Do you feel like David; dry and thirsty in a land where there is no water? Why seek that which will never quench your thirst? Consider the invitation of Jesus in John 7:37, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink." Take the time to spend a long cool season with God because... Nothing else will satisfy!

No comments:

Post a Comment