Thursday, October 3, 2013

"You know it was because of a bodily ailment that I preached the gospel to you at first, and though my condition was a trial to you, you did not scorn or despise me, but received me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus." - Galatians 4:13-14
It was due to family illness that I found myself back home on Long Island, preaching at a small church in Dix Hills in 1977. Those circumstances, difficult as they were, brought me together with a loving church family that invited me to be their pastor. I will always treasure those God appointed years as a great blessing. Troubling times are God's ways of achieving eternal purposes.
As Paul traveled far and wide with the gospel message, he reached some people and not others. God's plan was often clarified with such leading as in the Macedonian call, recorded in Acts 16:10. On other occasions Paul and his team were led by the prevailing winds of providential circumstances. For the Galatians, his ministry to them came about as a result of "a bodily ailment". Troubling times were God's ways of achieving eternal purposes.
Are you struggling through a series of hard times my friend? Is life full of illness, financial setbacks, or family trauma? Do you find yourself dealing with people and places that you never expected? Well, look for Divine connections or unique opportunities to be a blessing and share the Lord. Remember... troubling times are God's ways of achieving eternal purposes.

Think about this: "Christian people are generally at their best when they are in the furnace of affliction and being persecuted and tried."
                                                           - D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment