Monday, August 13, 2018

Heed His Counsel...

"But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices." -- Psalm 81:11-12
I remember the day I bought my first motorcycle. The guy who owned the dealership gave me wise counsel for riding. His last words were, "The day you become so sure of yourself that you lose all caution, sell the bike". That day came, and I didn't sell the bike. Instead I went to the hospital with broken bones. Turning your back on wise counsel can be painful.
The Lord gave commands and counsel for the welfare of his people. Yet, they made a choice time and again to ignore him. Over time, after Israel refused to submit to him, the Lord "gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices." As a result, the pages of the Old Testament record seasons of great oppression, hardship and national devastation. Turning your back on wise counsel can be very painful.
Do you ever find yourself thinking that you have a better idea than God? Have you questioned his commands and counsel, thinking that they were archaic and irrelevant for today? God's Word is timeless and is best received by submissive hearts. Those who do not listen will have a hard road to travel. Turning your back on wise counsel can be very painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment