Sunday, April 29, 2018

Where is your Hope?

Show me, O LORD, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man’s life is but a breath. Selah  Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it. “But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you." - Psalm 39:4-7
Museums are such fun and quite thought provoking. As I grew up on Long Island, we would often visit the Vanderbilt Museum in Centerport. We would explore the artifacts of another time, full of great wealth and unbridled pleasures. But at the end of the tour, we would re-enter the real world. The Vanderbilt years were legendary, but in the passage of time they were a mere handbreadth, leaving behind only the shadows of life long ago. Where is their hope today?
David wrote these words so many years and generations ago. His breath has ceased, but his memory is timelessly held in the pages of Holy Writ. His life's message lingers with a spiritual impact on all who will read with the eyes of faith. David left behind more than a museum of artifacts. He entrusted to us his most significant discovery for the brevity of life... "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you".
Stop! From time to time, be still and know that He is God. Your life is fleeting my friend, so be most thoughtful about what you heap up and how you bustle about. Look for the Lord and find your hope in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment