Sunday, July 16, 2017

Power gone amuck...

"James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings." - James 1:1
Of the many humorous presidential quotes of all time consider this one by George H. W. Bush: "I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. I am President of the United States, and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli." This could be qualified as "power" gone amuck.
James could have addressed the early church as the brother of Jesus or leader of the Jerusalem church. He could have reminded them of his close connection to the Lord and the incredible authority he wheeled among the apostles. But in this one introductory verse he gave clear evidence of being a true "servant-leader". James never let his "power" go amuck.
Are you overwhelmed and super impressed with yourself my friend? When you meet others for the first time do you make sure that they know all your accomplishments and titles? Or do you look for every opportunity to simply be a servant of the Lord to bring greetings and blessings in His name? Be careful to never allow your "power" to go amuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment