Monday, March 13, 2017

His things... Not ours!

"But he turned and said to Peter, 'Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.'" - Matthew 16:23
I flew out to Lackland Air Force base in June of 1969 for military basic training. The experience was quite an education. I discovered that one major goal of the training was to break each enlistee from thinking as individuals. It was necessary for us to think as a team in ready response to our leadership. We needed to set our minds on the things of the Air Force and not on our own things.
It seems odd that Peter would be rebuked so strongly by Jesus. But Peter, like all of us, was drawn by his human nature to see things in a very different way than the Lord. The Biblical record of Isaiah 55:8 spoke of this difference in the following way; "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord." Jesus rightly corrected Peter and clearly pointed to the source of such divergent thinking in the words, "Get behind me, Satan!"
Is it true that you have a better idea than the Lord my friend? Do you believe that your experience and wisdom puts you on equal ground with Jesus? Stop and consider the first few words of rebuke that the Lord spoke in Job 38:4, “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding." God alone reigns and knows best, therefore we would be wise to set our minds His things, not ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment