Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Midnight Cry

"Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour." -- Matthew 25:11-13
On occasion I would visit a local post office with everything in order, only to arrive five minutes too late. I could see the clerk working at his counter through the window and he would even see me, but he was closed for the day. I would always be quite frustrated as I walked back to my car, knowing that I couldn't do anything to change the situation. It didn't matter how well I had prepared my package, I started too late and the door was shut.
Jesus painted a picture of the "midnight cry" at his second coming quite well for his listeners. The day is coming without delay and the only time we can prepare is today, not then. It won't matter if we get things together after the door is shut, because it will be too late. We can call out all we want, but if the Lord doesn't know us today, he won't know us then and he won't open the door.
Have you trusted the Lord Jesus as your only means of salvation my friend? Are you prepared for his coming, having been born again (John 3:3) and filled with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13)? Does the Lord know you today and are you walking in his strength and grace? He is coming again, but only for those who know him and are known by him. Are you prepared for that day and living in expectation of the "midnight cry"?

No comments:

Post a Comment