Monday, August 3, 2015

Nostalgia

"Then I thought, “To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High.” I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds." -- Psalm 77:10-12 
Nostalgia can be a mixed bag of memories. The good old days may bring pleasant thoughts for reflection. Then again, if the "good old" days were really that good, we might feel discouraged about the present "not so good" days. The best memories are those that restore faith and hope.
Such was the case for the psalmist.  As he said earlier, "When I was in distress, I sought the Lord". In the midst of discouraging circumstances, he took time to remember God's faithfulness and miracles of long ago. He knew that a God who never changes would be as quick to perform "mighty deeds" today as yesterday. This kind of reflection restored his faith and hope.
Nostalgia is a very good medicine when we remember the deeds of the Lord. Jeremiah said it best in Lamentations 3:23, "Great is your faithfulness". Since we have a Savior who is the "same yesterday, today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8), we have every reason to be daily restored in faith and hope.    

No comments:

Post a Comment