Monday, August 24, 2015

Faithfulness

"I will sing of the LORD's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you established your faithfulness in heaven itself." -- Psalm 89:1-2
As I stand with a bride and groom and lead them in their vows, we eventually come to the phrase "I pledge you my faithfulness". Yet, the divorce rate for evangelical Christians runs from 34% to 54% depending on the frequency of church attendance. So much for marriage vows! Is "faithfulness" even possible?
The psalmist found great comfort and encouragement in the "faithfulness" of God. He devoted himself to "...sing of the LORD's great love forever" and make his "faithfulness known through all generations." Unfaithfulness in human relationships is timeless, but God's faithful love stands firm forever, being established in heaven itself.  Those who turn to the Lord daily and weekly will find true faithfulness from above and within. Yes, "faithfulness" is possible.
A faithful life is rooted in a faithful Lord. You can't be faithful to someone else if you don't know faithfulness in your own life. But, once you've experienced God's faithfulness it will change you and you will want to live it and make it known to new generations. Yes, "faithfulness" is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment