Monday, January 12, 2015

How are you?

"O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath. Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long? Turn, O LORD, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love." - Psalm 6:1-4

Why do we answer the question "How are you" with a perpetual "I'm fine"? Especially when we're not "fine"? Maybe because we don't like complainers, so we don't complain. Or maybe because we don't think other people really want to know how we really are. Then again, we may just be working on the blue ribbon for martyrdom with the determination of... "I can make it on my own".
Transparency may not be the best approach with some people in your life, but it's definitely the best in your relationship with God. What made David a man after God's own heart? One reason is found in the fact that he was an open book in his prayer life. He never held back his fears, pains, weakness or anguish. He even brought his complaints to the Lord with an honest confession... "I can't make it on my own."
Even though the Lord already knows how you are, he still wants you to tell him all about it. He looks for us to be wide open about our needs and feelings. He wants us to lean on him for the healing, strength and courage for every moment of the day. Will you choose to be a "Macho, Macho Man" (or woman) today? Or will you be honest with yourself and the Lord by asking for help with that really hard confession... "I can't make it on my own"  

No comments:

Post a Comment