Thursday, January 16, 2014

"Easy"

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” - Matthew 11:28–30
I've worked for a good number of  "bosses" over the years. Some have been a real pleasure to work for and others, not as great. Those who were kind and considerate made the job enjoyable on the very worst day. You always had support and encouragement, even when you made dumb mistakes. Their forgiveness and willingness to help you get things right made all the difference. These were people that were "easy" to serve.
After we considered the passages from the last two days a disciple's life could seem quite hard. But, then we step back and take a long focused look at the One who promises "rest" to the weary and burdened. Jesus invites us to take his yoke and learn from him. He is not just the Master Teacher, but he is gentle and humble in heart. In other words, Jesus is "easy" to serve.
Before you get too discouraged in the spiritual battle and worn down by the daily labor for God, turn your eyes upon Jesus. Every morning, noon and night, see his arms open wide as he extends a fresh call to find rest for your soul. As you take on his yoke remember that he is working with you side by side. The work is lighter since He understands and meets our needs with a gentle and humble heart. So... Jesus is always "easy" to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment