Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"Be appalled, O heavens, at this; be shocked, be utterly desolate, declares the Lordfor my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water." -- Jeremiah 2:12-13
Over time we all grow up and set aside the things of our youth. We look for new and better ways that will be fitting for adult lives. Some will forsake the simple teachings of their parents and embrace the odd philosophies of their college professors. After all, don't they know what works best, since they are wise and learned?
The words of rebuke recorded in this passage are no less needed today than then. The people of Jeremiah's day sought new religions and gods. Certainly the surrounding nations had better ideas than the ways of their childhood. But the Lord was shocked at their evil practices. And in addition, their choices turned out to be broken, unable to satisfy.
Have you selected "new" ways in the place of the simpler and basic beliefs of your youth my friend? Did you think that there was a better path to follow and a greater source from which to receive provision? Remember the Lord's words recorded in Isaiah 46:3-4... "Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been borne by me from before your birth, carried from the womb; even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save." 

No comments:

Post a Comment