Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Now then, my sons, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say. Keep to a path far from her, do not go near the door of her house" - Proverbs 5:7-8
I worked my way through college and held a number of jobs of interest. For quite a while I worked with guard dogs on the night shift. I noticed that whenever most people saw me approach with the dog, they would avoid us like the plague. They knew the dog had teeth and were afraid of being bit.
Solomon gave very practical counsel in how to deal with temptation and sin. He knew the best way to fight temptation was to avoid it at any cost. The sin nature is most vulnerable to the taunting and tantalizing of sin's temptations. When we know the source of such temptations, it is wiser to "keep a path far from her" for fear of being bit.
Sin has a way of wooing us into its lair. We often find ourselves wondering how we ended up so far from the path of righteousness and in so much trouble. The lesson is simple: sin is subtle and enticing, but it has teeth. Be wise... learn the source of temptation and "do not go near the door of her house". Avoid it like the plague for fear of being bit
_____________________________

A THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

John Burroughs, the naturalist, says that when a hawk is attacked
by crows or king-birds, he does not make a counterattack, 
but soars higher and higher in ever widening circles
 until his tormentors leave him alone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment