Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Listen, my sons, to a father’s instruction; pay attention and gain understanding." - Proverbs 4:1

There was a time that I could hear things that went bump in the night. I could hear most anything, anywhere at any time. But, as the years have passed I could probably miss a 747 landing in my front yard. My hearing has slipped away and I have to be very intentional in my listening. To understand what others are saying I have to "pay attention".
Solomon recorded great words of wisdom that he received from his father. He learned much at the feet of David by listening. He learned that understanding, insight and wisdom do not come to the careless. One must be intentional if they are to ever learn. Throughout this chapter we are encouraged to think, walk and talk wisdom, but if we don't listen, we won't learn. We need to "pay attention".
I want to hear what others are saying and I need to learn more every day, so I make every effort to listen. Whether we have good hearing or not, we need to be intentional in listening to our Heavenly Father's instruction. If you want to "gain understanding", you need to "pay attention".

  

No comments:

Post a Comment