Sunday, December 6, 2009

"Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. Let not my heart be drawn to what is evil, to take part in wicked deeds with men who are evildoers; let me not eat of their delicacies." - Psalm 141:3-4
Over the years, I have watched seven friends who were church pastors drawn into devastating evil. They were forced to leave the pastorate because they ate the delicacies of sin. They were men who opened the Scriptures every week and taught the principles of integrity with conviction. I knew these men, and I believed they were godly men, so how do such men fail? Maybe they weren't praying defensively.
David was a man after God's own heart, yet he still prayed defensively. He knew where to turn for strength, for at any moment... he could be drawn into evil. When he prayed defensively he experienced victory. But even David eventually failed. Perhaps he forgot to pray defensively.
The Lord taught us a simple pattern of prayer in the Sermon on the Mount which included: "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. (Matthew 6:13) Let's begin each day acknowledging our weakness and acquiring His strength in defensive prayer. Remember, the best offense is a good defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment